Bilingual Options


Dr Susanne Dopke


[Home]     [Speech Pathology]     [Consultancy]        [Credentials]     [Contact]















Texts for














Speech and Language Pathology


The information on this page has been kindly translated by Melbourne City Mission into:

[Arabic] [Chinese] [Somali] [Turkish] [Vietnamese]

For special considerations of the treatment of bilingual children, click here.


Why should my child see a speech pathologist?

*             My child is not talking.

*             My child talks very little.

*             My child speaks in very short sentences and makes grammatical mistakes .

*             My child is difficult to understand.

*              My child behaves oddly.

*             My child spends much time with repetitive movement and self-stimulating behaviour.

*             My child is very shy and withdrawn and is unable to speak to unfamiliar people.

*             My child has fluctuating or constant hearing loss.

*             My child is unable to concentrate and doesn't listen;

*             My child is unable to follow instructions.

*             My child stutters.

*             My child can't learn in school.

*             My  child has difficulties with spelling, reading or writing.

*             My child has difficulties with finding or maintaining friends.

*             My child's voice sounds awful.

*             My child has an illness or condition that affects speech, memory or problem solving.

back to top

When should my child see a speech pathologist?

*             As soon as you become aware that there might be a problem with your child's development of speech, language or communication because early help works fastest.

What will a speech pathologist do?

*             identify reasons for the problem.

*             Explain the problem to the family.

*             Write a report to take to others.

*             Design a treatment plan together with families or carers.

*             Treat the child with the help of the family or carers.

*             Advise parents, teachers and other professionals involved with the child.

*             Evaluate progress.

back to top


     Last updated: November 3rd, 2007